Last Updated on September 6, 2023 by Tim Wells
Terrarium TV was a popular streaming site that shut down in 2018, but you can still find tutorials telling you how to install it on your NVIDIA Shield.
Why did Terrarium TV Shut Down?
Terrarium TV, a popular Android application for streaming movies and TV shows, shut down because the developer, NitroXenon (Peter Chan), decided to stop development activities and move on to other projects.
In a notification pushed to Terrarium TV users, he announced:
“It has always been a great pleasure to work on this project. However, it is time to say goodbye. I am going to shut down Terrarium TV, forever. I knew this day would come eventually. I knew it would be hard to let go. But it is really time for me to move on to other projects.”NitroXenon
While he didn’t explicitly mention the exact reason for the shutdown, there has been some speculation about potential legal pressure.
Although there was no hint of any legal issues, it is worth noting that similar applications have faced threats from the Motion Picture Association (MPA) and its associates in the Asia-Pacific region in the past.
Another rumor suggested that the studios paid off the developer to shut down the application.
However, this is highly unlikely because it doesn’t fit the typical approach of the MPA or the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment. They usually demand money or levy fines.
It is also important to note that NitroXenon’s engagement with the app waned in the months before it shut down. He was mostly absent, with very little information given to users who requested updates.
This indicates that NitroXenon had already been considering the closure of Terrarium TV.
All in all, the exact reason for Terrarium TV’s shutdown remains unclear.
Speculations about legal pressure or payoffs remain unsubstantiated, but NitroXenon’s dwindling involvement with the app may suggest he anticipated shutting Terrarium TV down permanently.
Do Old Terrarium TV APKs Still Work?
While some old Terrarium TV APKs may still function, it is crucial to remember that the official service has been offline for several years.
As a result, these APKs are no longer being maintained or updated by the original developer, NitroXenon.
Over time, the code becomes outdated and may not be compatible with newer devices or operating systems.
Moreover, since the official Terrarium TV app shut down, any new APKs claiming to be Terrarium TV are not affiliated with the original and official version.
These unofficial APKs might introduce security risks, as they could potentially harm your device and expose your IP address. Downloading and installing APKs from unknown sources can lead to unintended consequences, such as malware or data breaches.
Instead, consider using legitimate streaming services and alternatives, such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. These platforms provide a secure, legal way to watch the content you want without putting your device or personal information at risk.
Why You Shouldn’t Install Terrarium TV on Your NVIDIA Shield
We do not recommend installing Terrarium TV on your NVIDIA Shield for several reasons. These include legal, security, and performance concerns.
Here are the key reasons why you should avoid installing Terrarium TV on your NVIDIA Shield:
- Legal Issues: Terrarium TV was known for providing access to copyrighted content without proper authorization. Using such apps to stream copyrighted movies and TV shows is illegal in many countries. By installing Terrarium TV on your NVIDIA Shield, you may unknowingly participate in copyright infringement, which can lead to legal consequences.
- Security Risks: As mentioned earlier, the official Terrarium TV app has been shut down and discontinued permanently. Any APKs claiming to be Terrarium TV are not affiliated with the original version and may introduce security risks. Downloading and installing unofficial APKs can expose your NVIDIA Shield and personal information to malware, data breaches, or other cyber threats.
- Outdated and Unmaintained: The official Terrarium TV app is no longer updated or maintained by the original developer. This means that the app’s code is obsolete, which can result in compatibility and performance issues on your NVIDIA Shield. Over time, the app may become increasingly unstable or cease functioning entirely.
- Better Alternatives Available: Several legitimate streaming services and alternatives, such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and JustWatch.com, offer a vast library of movies and TV shows. These platforms are legal, secure, and continuously updated to ensure the best possible user experience on your NVIDIA Shield.
In conclusion, installing Terrarium TV on your NVIDIA Shield is not advisable due to legal, security, and performance concerns.
Instead, we recommend using legitimate streaming services and alternatives to ensure a safe, legal, and enjoyable streaming experience.
- How to Enable Unknown Sources on Chromecast with Google TV  - October 30, 2023
- How to Install the Seren Kodi Addon [November 2023] - October 29, 2023
- The Crew Addon for Kodi [Install, Uninstall, FAQ](November 2023) - October 29, 2023